Latham combines an unrivaled global platform with deep tech experience — serving clients from Silicon Valley to Hong Kong, garages to boardrooms, scaling to meet each client’s unique needs and ambitions. We understand the tech sector’s evolving complexities and opportunities, which allows us to deftly guide clients through legal and commercial challenges on the path to achieving their goals.
We advise startups, tech giants, traditional businesses transforming through technology, and the investment banks, venture capital firms, and private equity sponsors that serve them. We consistently deliver deep sector knowledge, legal expertise, as well as commercial and government insights.
We draw on our widely recognized market-leading capabilities in key areas, including venture capital, capital markets, M&A, data privacy and security, IP litigation, and public company representation to help clients deliver on their vision. Our representative client work includes:
We routinely advise on the corporate transactions that re-define the industry. In 2020, we took more tech companies public in the US than any other law firm, including:
- Vroom in its US$500 million IPO
- GoHealth in its US$914 million IPO
We also advised on more M&A deals by value than any other law firm in 2020, including:
- NVIDIA on its US$40 billion acquisition of Arm, the largest semiconductor deal in history
- Advanced Micro Devices on its US$35 billion all-stock bid for Xilinx
- Slack in its acquisition by Salesforce.com for US$27.7 billion
Industry-defining regulatory and courtroom victories
We help all stakeholders — from boards to product teams — navigate increasingly complex regulatory issues and win the precedent-setting disputes that define the industry landscape. Such matters include representing:
- Facebook in the abuse of dominance probe by the German Federal Cartel Office relating to the interplay between privacy rules and antitrust law.
- LG Energy Solution in a dispute with a competitor involving automotive electric vehicle batteries, which resulted in a US$1.8 billion settlement, one of the largest trade secret settlements ever.
- Spotify in a landmark victory related to streaming royalties. This represented the first time an appellate court has ever vacated a royalty determination.
Our clients have complex needs, and we’re there with them at every step, anticipating the unexpected, and ready to rise to any challenge.