Catherine McBride advises clients on their highest-stakes disputes and contentious regulatory matters, including regulatory proceedings, regulatory and criminal investigations, and litigation.
Drawing on more than two decades of experience in handling complex bet-the-company litigation and contentious regulatory matters, Ms. McBride delivers practical and commercially focused advice to a broad range of clients including financial institutions, audit firms, corporates, and private equity firms. She brings a cross-cultural perspective to matters spanning multiple geographies, having practiced in the United Kingdom, Europe, and Asia.
Ms. McBride’s practice includes:
- Regulatory and law enforcement matters before a full spectrum of regulators and government authorities
- Complex and cross-border litigation in connection with contract disputes, shareholder disputes, mis-selling of financial instruments, misrepresentation, negligence, fraud, and asset-tracing
- Conduct and employment-related matters
- A wide range of cross-border and domestic regulatory and internal investigations
- Risk management advice to promote issue prevention and early resolution of matters, as well as the development of risk management policies and procedures
As the former Head of Litigation and Regulatory Enforcement at Deutsche Bank (Asia), Ms. McBride leverages her firsthand industry knowledge to help clients successfully navigate their most significant business and legal challenges. She also has held senior roles in the in-house legal teams at KPMG and Ernst & Young, in China and the UK respectively, handling complex commercial, regulatory, and litigation matters. In addition to her commercial work, Ms. McBride frequently advises clients on a pro bono basis. She is also a participant in the Women in Law Hong Kong’s (WILHK’s) Mentoring Program.
Ms. McBride has served on a number of firm committees. She currently is a member of Latham’s Associates Committee.
Ms. McBride’s experience includes advising:
- A global professional services firm in China following whistleblower allegations
- A financial services company in Tokyo into potential securities laws violations and financial misconduct
- An entertainment company with operations across Asia regarding potential bribery and corruption issues
- A US issuer with operations in Hong Kong and China into potential bribery and corruption allegations
- A leading global provider of data center, colocation, and interconnection solutions on an internal investigation originated from an inquiry raised by a Hong Kong government law enforcement agency
- A global financial services company in respect of IBOR benchmark fixings, foreign exchange benchmarks, expenses, and hiring practices
- Six finance parties in relation to cross-border enforcement action and litigation to recover debt in excess of US$500 million from a US-listed, China-based issuer
- A Chinese state-owned insurance company in relation to a substantial commercial litigation arising from its investment
- A global professional services firm in China before the US SEC and other regulators, following whistleblower allegations
- A financial services company in Tokyo before US regulators, following an internal investigation into potential securities laws violations and financial misconduct
- Audit firms in relation to criminal and professional negligence proceedings*
- Hong Kong SAR government in a HK$ multi-billion arbitration relating to a property development*
- A financial services firm in defense of a claim of fraudulent misrepresentation*
- Listed companies in respect of disciplinary matters before the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong and a variety of institutions on regulatory enforcement matters
- A Hong Kong-listed company on a major restructuring
- Private equity investors regarding anti-bribery and corruption and anti-money laundering due diligence into various entities across Asia
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham