Mr. Damle is one of the nation’s foremost practitioners in copyright law. He represents a wide range of technology and new media companies in high-stakes litigation and regulatory matters. As a former software developer, Mr. Damle has particular insight into software copyright infringement matters, but has also earned a reputation as a highly recognized music and regulatory lawyer.
Mr. Damle joined Latham after serving as General Counsel and Associate Register of Copyrights at the US Copyright Office. In this role, he was responsible for the agency’s litigation, regulatory, and other legal work. In this role, he led the Copyright Office’s in-depth study and report to Congress addressing the copyright implications of the use of software in consumer products.
Previously, Mr. Damle served as a litigator in the Civil Division of the Department of Justice (DOJ). In his role at the DOJ, he appeared as lead counsel in more than 40 appeals, focusing on intellectual property, administrative law, and constitutional matters. Mr. Damle also served as senior litigation and oversight counsel at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).
Mr. Damle serves as an advisor to the American Law Institute’s Restatement of Copyright Law project, teaches copyright law at the George Washington University Law School, is a member of the Copyright Society of the USA, and serves on the board of the Edward Coke Appellate Inn of Court.
Mr. Damle earned his JD from the University of Virginia, where he graduated first in his class.
He served as a clerk for Judge Sandra L. Lynch of the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit. Sy also holds systems engineering and business degrees from the University of Pennsylvania.
- Panelist, Pauline Newman IP Inn of Court, Google v. Oracle at the Supreme Court, February 2021
- Advisor, American Law Institute, Restatement of the Law, Copyright
- Panelist, “Google v. Oracle,” American University, October 2020
- Panelist, “Copyright in the Supreme Court,” Copyright Society of the USA, February 2020
Mr. Damle's experience includes representing:
- A multinational technology company in software copyright infringement and Digital Millennium Copyright Act litigation against a company that sells virtual web-based versions of iOS
- A major medical device manufacturer in software copyright infringement litigation against a major competitor in the ophthalmologic laser market
- A cybersecurity company in software copyright infringement litigation
- A major music streaming company in product counseling and regulatory matters
- A trade organization of music streaming companies in a variety of copyright-related regulatory proceedings
- The National Association of Broadcasters in industrywide Webcasting V proceeding before the Copyright Royalty Board to set rates under Section 114/112 of the Copyright Act
- The commercial radio industry in litigation with the music licensing organization, BMI